Weekly Focused Assemblies
Week Beginning 08/05/23
In this week’s assembly, we focussed on the inspirational character of Usain Bolt. He is one of our sporting heroes in school and is one of houses as his character represents so many of our school values.
We learned many interesting and exciting facts about Usain Bolt, including:
- Usain Bolt is known all over the world for being the fastest man on earth.
- He has always strived for excellence throughout his career.
- Usain always believed he could do better and continued to beat his own world records.
- He set himself new goals and wanted to set new records.
- When Usain started school, he was much more interested in cricket and football, but his cricket coach noticed how fast he was and sent him in the direction of the running track, a move that would change the face of world athletics forever.
- At the 2008 Beijing Olympics, the sprinter broke the world and Olympic records in both the 100 and 200 metre events.
- He also set a 4×100 metre relay record with the Jamaican team, making him the first man to win three sprinting events at a single Olympics since 1984.
- One of Usain’s greatest achievements was winning gold in both the 100m and the 200m in three consecutive Olympic games (2008, 2012 and 2016). He was the first athlete ever to achieve this.
- Throughout his career, Usain continued to break his own and other’s sprint records.
- In 2009, at the World Championships in Berlin, Usain broke his own world record for the fastest ever 100 metre sprint.
The children came up with a list of words to describe him, his character and his attitude. These were some of the ideas.
The children listened to the following song as they entered and left the assembly today. Why not take a listen!